- This event has passed.
Giant Steps Charity Classic 2016
August 3, 2016 - August 7, 2016
For seven years, the Charity Classic horse show has brought together top regional, national, and international riders for five extraordinary days of competition in support of Giant Steps. In addition to raising much-needed operating funds for Giant Steps, the show has introduced dedicated equestrians to the field of therapeutic riding and ground work, and to Giant Steps specifically. Over the years, we have gained countless supporters and volunteers when they witnessed first-hand the magic of our program.
THROUGHOUT THE SHOW:
• SPONSORSHIPS: Likely you have seen us listing the many wonderful companies and individuals who have already joined as sponsors on our Charity Classic Facebook page.100% of their sponsorship dollars go directly to Giant Steps. We are honored that they have chosen to spend their philanthropic dollars with us. If you have a chance to thank them, please do.
• SILENT AUCTION: We will be holding an auction over the course of the show. (It will also be available on-line for those of you who do not live in the vicinity.) It will include wine and dining opportunities, extraordinary sport experiences, beyond-cool horse-related lots, and much more. We will send out emails in advance so that people can preview the offerings and we will feature items on our social media as well. And for those of you with businesses, it’s not too late to donate to the auction….
• HORSE SHOW: Each day watch competitors try their hardest to win among the top caliber talent present on the show grounds.There are many exciting classes to choose from and many beautiful horses to behold.
• FABULOUS SHOPPING: Hermès and Tesla will have displays at the VIP Pavilion entry. Top vendors who supply many different types of items are also present on the show grounds for your perusal. Come visit and support them as they support Giant Steps.
FRIDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING, AUGUST 5:
• JUNIOR RELAY: We will once again be holding the fabulous Junior Relay in which pony and junior riders raise money for Giant Steps, and compete in a fun obstacle course. Prizes will be awarded for teams who raise $500, $1,000, and $2,500. Prizes will also be awarded for the team with the best time on the obstacle course, the team that raises the most money, and the team with the most winning attitude. Wells Fargo has generously offered a $15,000 challenge grant to match funds raised in July. Details will follow soon, but be prepared to see pony and junior riders approach you in the coming weeks, and watch your email for our Giant Steps riders’ request for support. Thank you Bay Club for sponsoring this years’ Junior Relay.
• CALCUTTA AUCTION: On Friday evening, after the Junior Relay, we will be holding a Calcutta auction, which is a fun and engaging event where attendees bid, auction style, on the team (riders are placed into teams solely for bidding purposes) they think will win Saturday night’s Grand Prix. If any member of the team wins the Grand Prix, the bidder who won that team’s auction is declared the auction winner. If for no other reason, you should come to see Ned Glynn of Sonoma Valley Stables serve as the Calcutta auctioneer (thanks Ned!).
• JUNIOR/AMATEUR VERSUS PROFESSIONALS BATTLE CLASS: After imploring men to participate in the Battle of the Sexes class for years on end, we redesigned this year’s battle class to be between Junior/Amateur riders and Professionals. Imagine the bragging rights if you were to beat your trainer…This will be one fiercely fun class to watch! Thank you HALTER Fund for being our Battle Class sponsor.
The VIP Pavilion will be open to all on Friday afternoon and evening and we will serve complimentary Brazilian food and drink in honor of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. No ticket price, but be prepared to raise your paddle at the Calcutta auction!
SATURDAY EVENING, AUGUST 6:
GRAND PRIX: Sit in the bleachers or along the Petaluma River to watch some of the best horse and rider combinations around compete for a $40,000 purse over large fences at high speed. Cheer on the riders on your Calcutta team and cross your fingers one of them wins so you can win too!
For questions in the short-term, email Beth. For questions during the show, visit us at our booth under the lattice by the food. We will be the ones with the cool new logo.