Question: If I can’t commit to a full session, can I still volunteer?
Answer: Yes, absolutely! Volunteers are incredibly important to our organization, and there are a number of ways in which you can participate:
- If your work has any flexibility, sign up to be a substitute volunteer. Travel, exams, family events, etc. will pull even the most loyal volunteer in another direction from time to time. When we know of absences in advance, we are able to pull from our substitute list, so add your name as you are able.
- If yours is a Monday through Friday, 9-5, type of job, consider volunteering over the weekend. Saturdays are our busiest day, so we always need volunteers. Sunday programming is more episodic in nature, but doesn’t carry the same weekly expectation that Saturday volunteering does. Contact Meghan to learn more.
- Even more episodic in nature are our special events. We hold three each year: Holiday Boutique (December 9, 2019), Farm to sTable Dinner (April 25, 2020), and Giant Steps Charity Classic horse show (July 28 to August 2, 2020). Volunteering at events could include helping with set-up or break-down, setting up the auction tables, bartending, registering guests, helping spot bidders during the live auction, etc. During the horse show, we also have an information booth to explain Giant Steps to people, and we love having folks who have volunteered with us as you know the program so well.
- Can’t make it out to volunteer? Consider doing a Facebook fundraiser for Giant Steps on your birthday or other special occasion. Our fees only cover 10% of our budget. We have to raise the rest, so every gift counts!
- On the topic of social media, if you are a user, please share our posts, and comment on them. We are always trying to raise our profile to attract more volunteers, donors, and clients!
- Talk us up whenever you have the opportunity. Sometimes people need to hear about us a few times before they make it to our website. Life is busy, and we all need reminders.
- If you have a special skill – office admin, photography, writing, what else? – please let us know. We have lots of needs all the time, and can always put talent to use.
Thank you for thinking of us! It takes a village to run our program. We truly couldn’t do it without our fabulous volunteer corps.